Sunday, December 18, 2011

Migraines and Massage


If you have ever suffered, and I do mean suffered, from migraines then I understand your pain. I used to have excruciating ones that would send me to a darkened room to lay in my bed and pray for the hour of release from its' grip. Afterwards I would be weak for at least a day. Have you been there?

Perhaps you sought out help by going to a chiropractor and found temporary relief. I know I did and it helped a lot but I kept getting them. Maybe not as close together but they were still dramatic.

I am not a doctor but I found two things that really changed my life and I always like to share with others what worked so that they too may find freedom from pain. I definitely suggest you talk with your doctor before trying anything new and keep him/her abreast of your successes.

The first suggestion I got from a friend was the idea of not eating meat, dairy products or sugar for at least one month. Believe me when I say it was hard to do for that first week but it got easier as I noticed that I would go a whole day without a headache of any kind. It felt so good to be free from the dread of the onset of a daily headache that eating more vegetables and saying goodbye to my coca-colas at lunch became doable. I ended up being vegetarian for at least two years! Best of all my migraines were less violent and less frequent. In fact any headache was less frequent. But I still had them from time to time and I wanted to get rid of them.

I'm not so sure you can get rid of the susceptibilty to migraines but there are ways to get a grip on them instead of the other way around. Keep trying.

Another avenue that helped me a lot came by accident. A friend of mine got weekly massages and told me how wonderful it was for her. She is a dancer. Since a lot of my tension was in my neck and shoulders I thought it a good idea to make an appointment and see what it was all about. At the time I could afford to go once a week and believe me I needed it. The knots in my shoulders didn't get there overnight so it took consistent massage sessions to reduce them. I began to notice that I only got a migraine about every three months which meant only four times a year. That was amazing! Also the severity was again reduced as well as the reduction of small headaches. I was able to make plans and keep them. It was so refreshing. Finally my massage therapist commented on how knot and tension free my muscles had become and I realized that I had not been to my chiropractor for months on end when I used to see him every two or three weeks for neck and shoulder pain. I continued to get massages for maintenance every other week and I haven't been back to the chiropractor in six years.

Now I am a massage therapist and I hope to make a difference. If you can not come to me because you live in Alaska (!) then I highly suggest, if you suffer from migraines, to help yourself by booking an appointment with a massage therapist who understands your pain. If a massage does not work as well for you as they did for me, then you still had an hour of relaxation on your road to better health and serenity. You deserve it. Call me today to make your appointment!

Peace.

Massage Among The Guardians
Nancy Pezdek, Holistic Massage Therapist, LMBT# 11024
919.413.5245
www.massageamongtheguardians.com

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment